Our nickname for this girl is Jabba The Hut- because- well, isn’t it obvious?!?
Currently, I can relate.
Over the holidays I dove face first into; cheesy potatoes, heavy breakfasts, creamy soups, bread and more bread and basically anything else I wanted to eat. Not to mention the fact that it is literally freezing in Chicago right now and all I want to do is blanket myself in mac and cheese.
It helped a bit that Alex and I recently went to Miraval Resort in AZ, and their uber healthy meal program helped kick our a$$es back into gear. BUT…let’s just say that I may have sprinted to the closest greasy breakfast spot in the airport as soon as we left the health ranch.
Now that we’re home I’ve decided that it’s time to TRY to eat healthier even if it’s so cold that going for groceries is terrifying.
Ya’ll know that I’m a huge fan of soups- they are filling and mentally they just seem to satisfy more than a salad- at least for me. I’ve shared a few soup recipes and I like to think this one as the Veggie Shili’s cousin.
My mom has been serving her skinny tortilla soup recipe for years and every time she does- people BEG for the recipe. I modified it a tad- to make it even healthier- but please feel free to fatten it up as you wish.
Super Skinny Tortilla Soup
What You Need:
- two jars of salsa *my mom uses Pace brand, I used generic hot and medium
- a container of fresh pico de gallo
- a can of black beans
- a can of garbanzo beans
- a can of kidney beans
- a can of corn
- a can of quartered artichoke hearts
- a can of veggie or chicken stock
- a handful of healthy tortilla chips
- a handful of reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- 2% or fat free Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- a rotisserie chicken , shredded
- a can of refried beans
- sour cream in place of greek yogurt
- tortilla, warmed for :10 in microwave for the side
What To Do:
- dump the salsa, pico, kidney, black, garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts, corn, and stock into a large pot and heat on medium.
- if the beans you’re using are unsalted, add a generous pinch of salt to the mix , stir and taste, add more as needed.
- if you’re adding chicken and refried beans- do this now and stir.
- when soup begins to bubble, taste again for flavor and heat.
- serve in a bowl, sprinkle with cheese, add a dollop of greek yogurt (or sour cream), crunch a handful of the chips and sprinkle on top.
- set out some hot sauces so your audience can dial up the heat if they like and enjoy GUILT free!
Step By Step Video – here!