Last Sunday was my niece Izzy’s 3rd birthday party and my brother in law Andy made pulled pork in his slow cooker. People were acting like they were starving contestants on Survivor and had just been given a food prize. Just wolfing them down.
He gave me a pretty simple recipe, which I modified and made into The Wifey’s version.
Ready? Let’s Get Wife’d Up!
What You Need/Grocery List:
- a package of pork shoulder & butt
- a can or box of chicken broth
- a medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- chili pepper
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- a bottle of bbq sauce- I used Sweet Baby Ray’s
- mini King’s Hawaiian rolls
What To Do:
- cut your medium yellow onion into slices
- slice 4 cloves of garlic
- pour the can of chicken broth into the slow cooker
- pour 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar into the slow cooker
- dump the sliced onions and garlic into the pot and spread out
- dump 1/2 cup of bbq sauce on top
- mix : 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of cumin into a large bowl.
- dry off your pork pieces and then dump them into the bowl, and coat with the spice mixture
- layer the pork in the slow cooker , add 1 cup water and cook on low for 8 hours
- pull out the pieces from the slow cooker and put them on a large cutting board, pull apart with two forks. it should fall apart easily. at this point I separated the men from the boys (pork and onions) and set the onions aside for people to use if they want. place pork into a large bowl.
- pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a pot and boil it for 15 mins or so- until about half of the liquid is gone.
- dump 1 cup of the liquid over the pork.
- slowly mix in remaining bottle of bbq sauce until it’s one big bowl of magic
- serve on mini rolls, accept praise.