One of my pregnant girlfriends has been craving nothing but cookies for weeks, opting to hit up health food stores for the more nutritious kind.
So I decided to try and make her something that would both hit the spot and be good for the little one and found this version and pretty much stuck to it, although there is a tiny Wifey Kitchen twist involved.
They are NO BAKE and BEYOND simple. I think they’d be perfect for a snack for kids or to bring to work in lieu of donuts or something less healthy.
*The only part that MAY trip you up happens with the dates* (our food processor happened to be broken so I used the blender)
Zexy Mamma Bars
What You Need:
- a loaf pan (I got mine from Jewel Osco, it’s disposable- that way you don’t have to worry about getting it back)
- a cup of dates (take out the pits)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 and 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- a quarter of a bar of 70% dark chocolate bar
- plastic wrap
- a cookie sheet
- *optional- a grater
What to Do:
- lay the oats and nuts out evenly on a cookie sheet and toast them for about 12 mins at 350
- put the dates into a food processor or blender and chop them finely
- heat up the almond butter and honey on low in a small pot or in the microwave
- take the oats and nuts out and combine them with the dates, honey, almond butter- stir until everything is equally mashed and while you do this either break your bar into chunks and drop them into the mix OR grate the bar in to the bowl while you mix it up
- lay some plastic wrap at the bottom of your pan
- put the mixture into the pan , spread it out then cover with another piece of plastic and mash it down into a thick bar
- throw it in the freezer for around 20 mins, then cut and serve!