Making your own cauliflower crust pizza is extremely gratifying and totally something to brag to friends about – not that I would know, since that’s a challenge I’m just not ready to tackle yet.
THANKFULLY- I don’t have to and I still get my pizza fix.
A lot of health food tastes like total crap, even to someone like me who spent years eating it and has tricked their tastebuds for the most part. But not these little pizzas from heaven, they are truly magical.
I found them at my local Plum Market, which is a bit of a specialty store, but I’m sure you can find them on-line as well.
Here’s the real kicker: each pizza has only 57 calories!! And you can eat the WHOLE BOX for 150 calories!! No one is getting full on one of these little guys, but after eating three, I was completely full.
Plus they are gluten free- so even your pickiest eaters will dive right in…well, unless they are dairy free or raw and then…you’re on your own.
My name is Kelli Zink Levy…and I’m addicted…to Lara Bars.
It’s true, I’m obsessed with nearly every flavor (minus the minty one) and how well these little healthy bars travel along in my purse or pocket.
Just last week I whipped one out at Soho House while having drinks with friends including Marshall Faulk & Cam from Modern Family- but that’s a story for another time.
In true Wifey form, I read the simple list of Lara Bar ingredients and decided I could make my own version. My first few attempts landed me with the Zexy Mamma Bars, but now with a few tweaks, I’ve come up with my most genius version yet.
Oh, and BTW- these are NO BAKE! That’s right, all you do is blend ’em and they are good to go.
Ready to try ’em? Let’s get Wife’d Up!
What You Need/Grocery List:
- dried pitted dates- if you can only find them with the pits in – that’s fine- you’ll just have to remove them. You’ll need about cup
- 1/2 cup dried oats
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup honey- I use Manuka honey for the added health benefits
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter (you can also use peanut, cashew, etc)
- a blender (or not and they will be chunkier)
- mini foil baking pans or non stick plastic muffin sheets
- plastic wrap or zip lock baggies
What To Do:
- dump the dates, oats, almonds and walnuts into your blender
- put your honey and almond butter into a small bowl and microwave until both are soft. start with about 20 seconds, stir and continue- but make sure the ingredients don’t burn
- transfer the hot mix to the blender
- mix and stir, stir and blend until it all looks the same. if you like yours chunkier, that’s cool too- I prefer to blend mine a bit
- lay a sheet of plastic wrap down and lay a layer of the mix, spreading evenly and covering with plastic again. Watch the video for the demo of the ziplock baggies too. Or simply dump even spoonfuls into the muffin tins – no plastic needed
- pop into the freezer for 20 mins and “set”
- if using the pan, cut into bars…eat and enjoy!
I love giving these away as little gifts. I’ve given them to; book club girls, friends who are always on the go, and for thank you gifts.
Feel free to add your twist on them and throw in whatever ingredients YOU and your people love!
WATCH AND LEARN HOW TO MAKE EM :